Chicken Yakhni Made Quick!
Here’s a recipe of Chicken Yakhni that comes all the way from South Africa, sent to us by Tasneem Saleri-Adroos, an amazing cook and according to her cousin, quickfire in the kitchen. Make it for a sumptuous Sunday lunch or when you have guests coming, you’re sure to have them eating this pulao out of your hands!
Rice 2 ½ cups
Chicken 1 kg, cut into medium size pieces
Onion 2 medium-sized, finely chopped
Tomato, 3 medium-sized, either boiled and grated or liquidized
Potatoes 2 medium-sized, cut into 4 pieces each
Yougurt 1 cup yoghurt, smoothened
Coriander Leaves ½ cup, chopped
Ginger garlic paste 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder 2 tsp red chilli powder
Coriander Powder 3 tsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp cumin powder
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Whole Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaves 2
Black peppercorns 5-6
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil and ghee. Add the onions with the whole spices on moderate heat and fry till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the chicken pieces along with the ginger-garlic paste and fry on moderate heat till the pieces look dry.
- Add the rest of the dry spice powders and braise on moderate heat for 2-3 minutes
- Add the grated or liquidized tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes on low-medium heat
- Add the potatoes and coriander leaves, and continue cooking on moderate heat for 5 minutes
- Add the yoghurt and cook on medium heat till the chicken looks tender, about 5-7 minutes
- Add the washed rice, and pour 5-6 cups of hot water and stir properly; cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, and then cover the pot and let it steam for at least 20-30 min.
- Serve hot with onion salad and yoghurt raita.